History: Overview 1900 - 2010
In 1900, a Judge was reported to have operated a small water powered sawmill 12 miles up the Chetco River. In 1907, this operation was transferred to the Brookings Lumber & Box Company (BLBC) where John E. Brookings served as President. The town was named after him in 1908.
1912: BLBC constructed the first railroad in Curry County, a lumber manufacturing plant, a deep-water harbor, and the town of Brookings.
1915-1917: California & Oregon Lumber Co. was formed and the railroad was completed. To serve the newly formed company, construction of a piling & timber wharf extending 1,200 feet into Chetco Cove was commissioned. The wharf, carrying 2 tracks of the company-owned railroad, was completed in 1917.
1920-1925: The railway & wharf were improved and extended before shutdown in 1925. Only the land, the mill pond and the townsite of Brookings, the plat of which was filed in 1920, would remain for many years to follow.
1940's: Area gained nationwide publicity because of flower bulb industry.
1945-1957: Rivers and Harbors Act of 1945 authorized improvement which consisted of constructing jetties and dredging, at the mouth of the Chetco River. The project was completed in 1957.
1957-1959: Governor Elmo Smith appointed the first Five Port Commissioners'.
1958: First boat basin constructed.
2004-2010: Port Retail Center was built and 13,000 square feet of commercial space was added. The Port of Brookings-Harbor leases Commercial and Retail space to 34 businesses.
 Chetco River Railroad Bridge - Brookings, Oregon [Photograph] Provided courtesy of Babin Law, P.C., November 4, 2011.
 View of Brookings ORE DEC 1914 - Brookings, Oregon [Photograph] Provided courtesy of Babin Law, P.C., November 4, 2011.